Meredith and I threw a baby shower for a friend of ours from work. With a blue and green theme and a need for some more sweets, I figured these cookies would be perfect. Who doesn't love sugar cookies?! This recipe was taken from a blog of a fellow "Nestie" (www.thenest.com) and also from the "Now That's What's Cooking" blog.
Super Sugar Cookies
3/4 cup margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Cream margarine and sugar well.
2. Add vanilla and eggs; combine well.
3. In separate bowl, sift the baking powder, salt and flour. Add to wet ingredients slowly until thoroughly combined.
4. Cookie dough must be chilled until firm, or overnight.
5. Remove dough from fridge and roll out to a 1/4-inch thickness.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7. With cookie cutters or rim of drinking glass, cut out cookies.
8. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, depending on oven. Check often to prevent over cooking or burning. Cool on baking rack when done.
9. Meanwhile, prepare frosting
1 teaspoon real vanilla
1 stick real butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon cream or whole milk
10. Cream butter, milk and vanilla together.
11. Slowly add powdered sugar to butter until desired consistency. If you'd like, add liquid food coloring for festive cookies
12. When cookies are cooled, slather this heavenly frosting. For more texture and color, press the top of the cookie in sprinkles, colored sugar or just eat plain!